Welcome Team Captain!
Thank you for becoming a team captain for Angels Among Us. As a team captain, your job is to motivate your family, friends, and colleagues to join your team and collect donations. Our job is to give you the tools to make your team captain experience fun and rewarding.
- Pick a Team Name: Have fun naming your team. We have some very creative and inspiring team names. Check the "Team List" so you don't duplicate an existing team name.
- Register Your Team Online: To register a new team, click Form a New Team. The system will walk you through the process.
- Register a Returning Team: Click on the blue "Login" at the top right corner using your user id and password from last year. A display box with your team name will appear; clicking on the team name will re-activate your team for this year. You will be directed to your participant page from last year. Please add your story on the Team Page, if you haven't already; or add a picture or video.
- Email Your Team Information: Please send your name, preferred email, and who the team is in honor or memory of to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive updates and important event day information.
- Team T-shirts: Many teams design a special t-shirt for their team members to wear on event day; while this is a fun idea, it is not required.
TOOLS TO HELP YOU GET STARTED:
- Participation Guide: This guide provides you with tips on how to maneuver around the participant center.
- Team Captain Guide: This guide provides you with the steps to create a successful team, including ideas for fundraising and sample letters to send to friends and businesses.
- Team Donation Form: This form is for you and your team members to use when asking people to make gifts or pledges to support your team.
- Matching Gifts: Ask your donors if their employer is part of Duke's Company Matching Program. This is a great way to double their donation.
- Event Information: Below are links to fact sheets about The Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center and Angels Among Us. This is great information to give to local businesses, corporations, or individuals when approaching them for a donation. We want to keep the public informed about the research, treatments, and care given at Duke.
ABSENT ANGEL TEAM
You do not have to be present at the Angels Among Us event to support brain tumor research at Duke. For those who cannot attend the event, but would like to honor their loved ones and raise funds in their community to help find a cure for brain tumors, click Form a New Team and register your team as an Absent Angel Team.
Your donations will go directly to support exciting new research at the Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center. Every gift is important to the work being done at Duke.
ANGEL CHALLENGE GRANT
An anonymous donor – and very special angel – has pledged $200,000, and issued an “Angel Challenge” to every team who participated in 2017, to raise even more for brain tumor research in 2018!
Teams that participated in the 2017 Angels Among Us will be awarded $1 for every $1 of increased giving by their team in 2018, up to a maximum of $200,000! For example, if Team A raised $1,000 in 2017, and raises $1,500 in 2018, the $500 increase will be matched dollar for dollar. So, Team A will receive an extra $500 for their team total, making their 2018 donation $2,000. Only the funds you raise above and beyond your 2017 total are eligible to be matched.
“Angel Challenge” funds will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis prior to April 28th, until the $200,000 donation is depleted. To qualify to have matching funds added to your team total, all donations must be mailed by April 17th. All web gifts must be made before April 26th. After that date, please bring gifts with you to the event. At the event, if there are still challenge funds available, the teams with the largest increase from 2017, will be awarded first until all the funds are depleted.
We want to make sure every dime of this challenge grant is used by our Angel teams. Please let your team members know about this very generous challenge grant and get started now!
Gift-in-kind donations or fees for services do not qualify for the challenge. Donations pledged but not yet paid do not qualify.
For questions, contact the Angels office at email@example.com