Hello Family and Friends of Team Cristie!
Now that the excitement of the holidays is behind us, we are focusing our efforts on our first big fundraiser for brain cancer awareness: Angels Among Us.
- On May 9th, Cristie had (2) grand mal seizures while attending a work-related conference in Carlsbad, CA
- Two days later, she entered an emergency surgical procedure, called a biopsy/resection, in which the surgeon removed as much of the 5cm tumor as safely possible
- Two days following the surgery, the diagnosis came back: Glioblastoma Multiforme, Grade IV primary brain tumor
- We returned from CA and enrolled Cristie into the Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at the Duke Cancer Center in Durham, NC
- First round of treatment consisted of a daily combination of radiotherapy and chemotherapy for (6) consecutive weeks over the summer of 2017
- Cristie is now halfway through the second round of treatment: one year of chemotherapy, consisting of a (5) day on/(23) day off cycle
Some quick facts:
- An estimated 700,000 Americans are living with a brain tumor
- In 2017, an estimated 79,270 people were diagnosed with a primary brain tumor
- More than 28,000 children in the US are living with a brain tumor
- Brain tumors are the leading cause of cancer-related deaths among children
- There are more that 140 different types brain tumors
- Despite the growing number of diagnoses, and their devasting prognosis, there have only been (4) FDA approved drugs and only one device designed in the last 30 years for treating brain tumors