How Angels Among Us Makes a Difference
Through Angels Among Us, funds raised can be quickly delivered where they are needed most in the fight against brain cancer. Since its founding in 1994, over $10 million dollars has been donated to The Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke from Angels Among Us. Your support of this event will help us continue to lead the world in the development of new therapies, quality of life initiatives and innovative treatment techniques.
Proceeds from Angels have:
- funded sophisticated equipment like a $400,000 laser drive flow cytometer and an immunohistochemical robot so that our researchers can develop the most effective therapies for each and every patient with a brain tumor.
- been used to recruit high-level researchers to Duke to help in the development of new treatments for brain tumors. One of these researchers played a major role in Duke receiving a Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) award in brain cancer research from the NCI. It is only one of four awarded in the country and provides more than $10 million for brain tumor research at Duke.
- been used as developmental research funds to support new projects that will ultimately be submitted to the National Institutes of Health to obtain additional funding.
- been used as career developmental awards for our young investigators to help jumpstart their promising careers.
- been used to purchase critical research and clinical investigation supplies.
- supported basic, translational and clinical investigational personnel.
- helped offset the 29% reduction in federal research grants so that our research efforts won’t stall and will continue to progress.
Our success requires expensive equipment, optimal laboratory space, a large number of patients for our clinical investigation trials, and experienced, passionate faculty and staff to lead the research and provide the care. In these times of difficult funding, proceeds from Angels Among Us are even more critical.
While there is no cure for brain cancer yet, the money raised from Angels Among Us has provided The Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke with essential expertise and technology to conduct the most advanced research and care for patients.
Thank you for your support of Angels Among Us, and for making a difference in the lives of our patients. Join us and be an Angel Among Us in 2012.
Darell D. Bigner, MD, PhD
Director, The Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke